Compile and Install
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Q: How works compilation and installation of GRASS 5.7
- checkout the grass57 module from cvs (read http://grass.itc.it/faq/cvs_howto.html grass CVS howto instructions)
- It is wise that compilation processes are carried out as a normal user: If you want to get the source code in a place where you do not have write permissions (e.g. in /usr/local/src/cvs) just follow this:
cd /usr/local/src/cvs su -c 'mkdir grass57; chown yourlogin:yourgroup grass57'
- do a checkout (co) of the repository
cvs -z3 co grass51
- in the grass51 directory, you will find the precious INSTALL file, open it with your favourite pager/editor and read it carefully!
- run configure with parameters to adapt the compile process to your own system. To see what options can be passed to it, run configure --help. Maybe you've saved parameters used for grass5-stable so that they can be used here. The minimum configure parameter set to pass to configure is (refers to GRASS 5.7 from CVS, not to 5.7.0 release):
It may (!) look like this:
./configure --with-postgres-libs=/usr/include/pgsql/libpq/ --with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/pgsql/ --with-freetype=yes --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2/ --with-motif --with-glw --with-glw-libs=/usr/local/lib --with-glw-includes=/usr/local/include/
Please note that the paths mentioned may widely vary due to the distribution used and the specific installation of packages like freetype2.
- Let's make it!
- Once the installation process is finished, you're ready to install grass57 system wide.
su -c 'make install'
- enjoy grass57: