Compile and install GDAL-GRASS plugin
In general, try to find precompiled packages (i.e., RPMs for most Linuxes, .deb for Debian, Install packages for MS-Windows etc). Check the GRASS download site for software providers.
The compilation order should be kept due to inter-dependencies between the packages. Please keep the order as seen below.
The install order should be kept due to inter-dependencies between the packages. Please keep the order or install all in a single step:
- Optional: GEOS
- Optional: PostgreSQL, mySQL, unixODBC, sqlite (but needed for QGIS)
- GDAL/OGR without GRASS support
- GRASS 6
- GDAL/OGR-GRASS plugin - file: gdal-grass-126.96.36.199.tar.gz (or later)  NOTE: the plugin needs to see the GRASS libraries . The best way is to add a file 'grass6.conf' into the directory /etc/ld.so.conf.d (edit as root) which contains the path to the GRASS libraries; then run 'ldconfig'.
- QGIS with GRASS support
 New plugin version as of 19 Oct 2005, requires GDAL 1.3.1 or later
All stuff installed but QGIS doesn't see GRASS or r.out.gdal doesn't work?
- Check if GDAL finds the plugin:
gdal_translate --formats | grep -i grass GRASS (ro): GRASS Database Rasters (5.7+)
- Check if the GRASS libs are found by the plugin. All libraries should be found (maybe you forgot to run 'ldconfig' if you didn't install from RPMs?):
ldd /usr/lib/gdalplugins/grass_GRASS.so ldd /usr/lib/gdalplugins/ogr_GRASS.so
- Check if the GRASS plugins are in the right directory (check the 'Auto register' directory reported in the output):
export CPL_DEBUG=on ogrinfo -summary $HOME/grassdata/spearfish60/PERMANENT/vector/roads/head
If you are still having trouble, please also vist GRASS for Fedora Core 4 for more detailed GRASS and GDAL compilation and installation instructions developed by Isaac Ullah for Fedora Core 4.