Compile and install GDAL-GRASS plugin
The idea of the GDAL-GRASS plugin is to directly access GRASS raster and vector data from outside. Any GDAL enabled software (QGIS, R, ...) can read and write through the plugin from the GRASS database. It is sufficient to indicate the full path to the GRASS dataset (see below).
The compilation order should be kept due to inter-dependencies between the packages. Please keep the order as seen below. GRASS compilation is explained in Compile and Install.
Compilation and Installation of Prerequisites
The install order should be kept due to inter-dependencies between the packages. Please keep the order or install all in a single step:
- PROJ with Datum grid file proj-data-XY.zip
- Optionally: GEOS
- Optionally: other packages
- GDAL/OGR compiled without GRASS support (because we use the plugin!)
- GDAL-GRASS-driver (own repo): https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal-grass
Compilation and Installation of the GDAL-GRASS plugin
For GRASS GIS:
Download the GDAL/OGR-GRASS plugin - file: gdal-grass-x.y.z.tar.gz
NOTE: the plugin needs to have library path access the GRASS GIS libraries. The best way is to add a file
grass.conf into the directory
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/ (edit as root) which contains the path to the GRASS libraries; then run
sudo su nano /etc/ld.so.conf.d/grass.conf ldconfig
Available libgdal-grass binary packages
- Debian: https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=sourcenames&keywords=libgdal-grass
- Fedora: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/neteler/gdal-grass-plugin/
- openSuSe: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Application:Geo/libgdal-grass (outdated)
- Ubuntu: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libgdal-grass&searchon=names
Usage of the plugin
You always need to specify the full path to the data set:
- GRASS raster map:
- GRASS vector map:
ogrinfo -ro -so /path/to/grassdata/nc_spm_08_grass7/PERMANENT/vector/roadsmajor/head
- Mapserver: should be ablte to access both raster and vector maps, define connection properly in the .map file
- Geoserver: https://github.com/mundialis/geoserver-grass-raster-datastore
- QGIS: only needs it for raster data
All stuff installed but QGIS doesn't see GRASS or r.out.gdal doesn't work?
- Check if GDAL finds the plugin:
gdal_translate --formats | grep -i grass GRASS (ro): GRASS Database Rasters (5.7+)
- Check if the GRASS libs are found by the plugin. All libraries should be found (maybe you forgot to run 'ldconfig' if you didn't install from RPMs?):
ldd /usr/lib/gdalplugins/gdal_GRASS.so ldd /usr/lib/gdalplugins/ogr_GRASS.so
If not, create as root user the file "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/grass.conf" with this line (modify path as needed):
Then run "ldconfig" as root user.
Still failing ?
- Check if the GRASS plugins are in the right directory (check the 'Auto register' directory reported in the output):
# remember that you have to specify the absolute path: export CPL_DEBUG=on gdalinfo $HOME/grassdata/nc_spm_08_grass7/PERMANENT/cellhd/aspect ogrinfo -summary $HOME/grassdata/nc_spm_08_grass7/PERMANENT/vector/roadsmajor/head
The path to "libgrass_I.so" is missing from LD_LIBRARY_PATH. To solve this, create as root user the file "/etc/ld.so.conf.d/grass6.conf" with this line (modify path as needed):
Then run "ldconfig" as root user.
ERROR 2: compilation error libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory
/usr/local/grass78/grass78/include/grass/vect/dig_structs.h:31:10: fatal error: libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory #include <libpq-fe.h> ^06:45, 7 January 2020 (PST)06:45, 7 January 2020 (PST)~ compilation terminated. Makefile:43: recipe for target 'ogrgrassdriver.o' failed make: *** [ogrgrassdriver.o] Error 1
./configure --with-postgres-includes=$(pg_config --includedir)
... then compile.
If you are still having trouble, please also visit "GRASS for Fedora Core 4" for more detailed GRASS and GDAL compilation and installation instructions developed by Isaac Ullah for Fedora Core 4.
There are good instructions on source code compiling here Category:Installation.