GRASS Community Meeting Prague 2023
The GRASS GIS team is organizing the GRASS GIS Community Meeting with contributors, power users and developers from June 2 to June 6, 2023 to celebrate GRASS GIS 40th birthday (by contributing to GRASS GIS of course).
GRASS GIS Community Meeting is a great occasion for folks to support the development by actively contributing to the source code, documentation (manuals, wiki, tutorials), translations, website or likewise. The community meeting is also a get-together where supporters, contributors, power users and developers make decisions and tackle larger problems related to the project, discuss and collaboratively resolve bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. We welcome people committed to improving the GRASS GIS project and the interfaces to QGIS, GDAL, PostGIS, R, OGC Services and desiring to celebrate with us the 40th GRASS GIS birthday!!
In this meeting, we will work on GRASS GIS and integrations with related OSGeo projects. We will revise connection to QGIS to make it easier to maintain, and we will work on migration of the build to CMake to improve Windows builds including PDAL support. Furthermore, we will start moving documentation to Markdown to make it easier to contribute to and we will add images and examples for tools and workflows which still miss them. Finally, we will automate and document maintenance processes to reduce the burden on maintainers and thus improve the project sustainability.
Note that while we have our general plan, we can't accept any earmarked donations, i.e., we can't make any promises for a specific work to be done. We do require participants to work on GRASS GIS or connections to other projects. However, we leave them the freedom to work on what they think is the best contribution to the project at that time given their skills and time available.
For the detailed agenda and individual's plans, see below.
We welcome financial contributions to support the meeting and we are looking for sponsors to cover costs such as meals or to help reducing travel and accommodation expenses for GRASS developers who volunteer their time. If you are interested in sponsoring the GRASS Community Meeting, please see our
Any surplus at the end of the event will used for future activities of the GRASS GIS project such as the successful student mini grant program.
This GRASS Community Meeting is a great occasion for you to support the development of GRASS. With your contribution you'll enable more developers to meet. Community meetings are important opportunities for developers to discuss, fix bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. Please see below for the detailed agenda. The developers and contributors are donating their valuable time, so it would be great if in-kind funding can be made available from within the community to cover out-of-pocket expenses. All of the work that takes place at the community meeting will be directly contributed back into the GRASS project to the benefit of everyone who uses it.
Thanks to our sponsors
We are grateful for the support which we have received to organize this GRASS Community Meeting:
- FOSSGIS e.V.: 5000 EUR (approved budget contribution, request)
- Twitter: @FOSSGIS_Verein | @FOSSGISeV@mastodon.online
- OSGeo Japan: 550 USD (through Open Collective)
- Hernán De Angelis 20 USD
- MarWe 50 USD
- Nick Brady 50 USD
- José Ramón 50 USD
- Johannes Brauner 30 USD
- Peter Löwe 30 USD
- Evan Kay 10 USD
- Joaquin Perez Valera 5 USD
- Anonymous sponsors 2750 USD
- Faculty of Civil Engineering Czech Technical University in Prague (FCE CTU) - space and personnel time (planning, preparation)
- North Carolina State University - personnel time (planning, preparation)
- mundialis GmbH & Co. KG - personnel time (planning, preparation)
- CONICET - personnel time (planning, preparation)
When: June 2-6, 2023
Of course you are invited to join or leave the meeting whenever you want.
Prague has an international airport and is also reachable by train, bus or car.
Accommodation and Costs
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- The participation is free of charge
- Travel to Prague, variable depending on where you come from, reimbursements depending on the financial contributions provided by the community
- Accommodation and meals (with the donated sponsorship money we will try to cover some expenses of the participants)
Please let us know your time of arrival and departure, so we can book accommodations and organize the logistics.
Financial support: (partial) travel grants can be payed upon request thanks to our sponsors!
Agenda - What we plan to do
Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please write an email to the GRASS developer list to discuss your contribution.
During the meeting we will work on GRASS GIS on these tasks (please add more!):
- We will update and revise the GRASS GIS Integration with QGIS to simplify maintenance.
- Furthermore, we will migrate the compilation technology to CMake to significantly improve the Windows builds including PDAL support and become binary compatible with OSGeo4W.
- The extensive GRASS documentation will be converted from HTML to Markdown to facilitate future collaboration.
- Pictures, examples and workflows will be added to the documentation where they are still missing.
- Software maintenance processes are automated and documented to reduce the burden on maintainers and thus improve the sustainability of the project.
This means that there are tasks from both the programming and documentation areas to appeal to a wide range of interested parties.
Further details about the action items you find here and below. Topics cover non-technical, semi-technical, and technical issues.
(agenda is under development, but also flexible)
Thursday, 1 June
Friday, 2 June
- 9:00 meeting starts in the room B-868
- Lunch: 12:45 NTK
- Review the plan for the next days
- API for use in Python and in other projects (e.g., QGIS)
Saturday, 3 June
- Reducing cost of distribution on Windows
- Convert GRASS GIS documentation from HTML to Markdown and implement new documentation system (mkdocs?)
- Group photo 1
- Outdoor social evening
Sunday, 4 June
- Compilation CMake (Windows, Linux)
- Connections in general, rgrass, qgisprocess
- GRASS GIS addons overview generator for entire GitHub (and more?) based on tag "grass-gis-addons"
- Group photo 2
Monday, 5 June
- Connections in general, QGIS, rgrass, qgisprocess
Tuesday, 6 June
- Connections in general, QGIS
Wednesday, 7 June
Friday, 2 June
Saturday, 3 June
- 3:50pm train from Podbaba (15min walk) to Roztoky
- walk 1:30min
- Bus (355) back from Unetice to Dejvicka: 21:57 or 23:18
Sunday, 4 June
We are planning for an attendance of 20 people (i.e., coding places) but of course you are welcome to join us and bring new ideas with you: we'll make more places available. Please add your name here or contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
|1||Martin Landa||Czech Republic||June 1||June 7||Python: create_location (#1987), Graphical Modeler improvements and single window layout integration|
|2||Micha Silver||Israel||June 2||June 6||Addon to derive soil moisture from Sentinel 2|
|3||Helmut Kudrnovsky||Austria||June 2 (18:37) by train||June 4 (18:24) by train||support CMake transition|
|4||Markus Neteler||Germany||June 2 (17:17)||June 6 (12:43)||translations, manual pages, ..., see my list in "Discussion" page|
|5||Ondřej Pešek||Czech Republic||June 2 (17:17)||June 6 (12:43)||Python 3.12-connected issues, gmodeler|
|6||Helena Mitasova||United States||June 2||June 6|
|7||Vaclav Petras||United States||June 1||June 7||init and other Python API topics, support CMake transition, revise connection with QGIS and other tools, funding|
|8||Anna Petrasova||United States||June 1||June 7||parallelization documentation, grass.jupyter, R and QGIS integration|
|9||Corey White||United States||June 2 (10:55)||June 7||Connections with other tools, OpenPlains, JSON outputs|
|10||Maris Nartiss||Latvia||June 2 (14:30)||June 6 (12:00)||Improvements of imagery modules (push i.svm.*; i.signatures; ?)|
|11||Aaron Saw Min Sern||Singapore||June 1||June 7||Support CMake transition, r.mapcalc parallelization|
|12||Luís de Sousa||The Netherlands||June 1 (20:00)||June 5 (20:45)||Update r.mblend add-on; test CMake transition.|
|13||Caitlin Haedrich||United States||June 1||June 7||grass.jupyter|
|14||Linda Kladivová||Czech Republic||June 2||June 6||Single-Window layout issues and improvements|
|15||Carmen Tawalika||Germany||June 2 (17:17)||June 6 (12:43)||Happy to assist with general topics like documentation + automation, in doubt something related to actinia|
|16||Floris Vanderhaeghe||Belgium||June 3 (train 19:17)||June 6 (train 8:25)||Helping in interfacing GRASS from R (rgrass & qgisprocess packages)|
If you are arriving or departing on the days of the event, please specify the time, too.
Via chat or hangout
Join our Gitter chatroom
Gitter has a video (and backup will be Zoom).
|Number||Participant||Country||Topics||Times, synchronous or fully asynchronous||Notes|
|1||Brendan Harmon||United States||Update integration with QGIS||Available 8:00 AM CST (UTC-6) onwards|
|2||Veronica Andreo||Argentina||Mission and vision, interfaces with QGIS and R, sponsoring, ... see discussion tab||available from 8:00 AM ART (UTC-3) onward|
|3||Daniel T||Mexico||some availability through the days :/|
|4||Loïc Bartoletti||France||QGIS Integration, support CMake transition|
Timing of hangout meetings
Vero: available from 8:00 AM ART (UTC-3) onward
Collaborative document scratching
- Bring your own computer
- Bring power connector adapter if needed (Czech Republic: 230V, 50Hz, Type C Europlugs are common and also Type E)
- Install git and the compiler tools, and come with a working GRASS development environment if possible.
Broadcast & Video
During the event :) Find the latest information on the Gitter Channel.
- How was it last time?
- Very nice, see GRASS_GIS at OSGeo Virtual Community Sprint 2020!
- Is the GRASS Community Meeting just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the GRASS project and/or are committed to improving the GRASS project.
- On demand we can do some presentations of current working GRASS implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of Open Source GIS software.
- Is the GRASS Community Meeting for developers only?
- No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
- Where can I get help and more information about the community meeting?
- Contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>
Report and press release
TBD: After the event :-)
We'll esp. craft a report for our sponsors.