Difference between revisions of "GRASS Community Sprint Bonn 2016"

From GRASS-Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (In person: + MilenaN)
(added more photos for event illustration :))
 
(48 intermediate revisions by 10 users not shown)
Line 4: Line 4:
 
'''Important dates:'''
 
'''Important dates:'''
  
* CodeSprint I: Sun 21.08.2016 12:00 - Tue 23.08.2016 (open end)
+
* CodeSprint I: Sun 21.08.2016 12:00 - Tue 23.08.2016 (open end) (see also [http://2016.foss4g.org/programme.html#code-sprints here])
 
* [http://2016.foss4g.org/#page9 FOSS4G 2016 Schedule]
 
* [http://2016.foss4g.org/#page9 FOSS4G 2016 Schedule]
* CodeSprint II: Sat 27.08.2016 - Sun 28.08.2016 12:00 a.m
+
* CodeSprint II: Sat 27.08.2016 - Sun 28.08.2016 12:00 p.m. (see also [http://2016.foss4g.org/programme.html#code-sprints here])
  
 
== Purpose ==
 
== Purpose ==
Line 26: Line 26:
 
== Venue ==
 
== Venue ==
  
* Bonn, Germany: http://www.basecamp-bonn.de
+
Bonn, Germany: Basecamp
 +
 
 +
How to get to FOSS4G2016 OSGeo Code Sprint?
 +
* http://alienus.de/basecamp1/en/arrival-bonn-hostel/
 +
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=raste%201%20bonn#map=18/50.70762/7.12383
 +
 
 +
By train
 +
* From Bonn Main station take the U-Trains (Underground platform) 16, 63 or 68. Get off after 6 min at stop Dt. Telekom / Ollenhauerstr.
 +
* http://alienus.de/basecamp1/en/arrival-bonn-hostel/
 +
* http://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=raste%201%20bonn#map=18/50.70762/7.12383
 +
* [https://www.vrsinfo.de/englisch/the-vrs/vrs-about-us.html online public transport planner]
 +
 
 +
By Car
 +
* Coming from the highway A59 Basecamp is located at the end of the highway A562. For navigation systems it is best to type Basecamp's address: "''In der Raste 3, 53129 Bonn''")
  
 
== Accommodation and Costs ==
 
== Accommodation and Costs ==
Line 39: Line 52:
  
 
'''Note:''' The program is generally open for your ideas. Please edit this wiki page!
 
'''Note:''' The program is generally open for your ideas. Please edit this wiki page!
 +
 +
=== More core developers with SVN write access ===
 +
* Develop a strategy to refresh the group with core SVN write access
  
 
=== Web site ===
 
=== Web site ===
 
* Migrate the good old CMSMS to Wordpress
 
* Migrate the good old CMSMS to Wordpress
 +
* Move development related stuff from CMS (https://grass.osgeo.org/development/) to trac Wiki
  
 
=== Promo ===
 
=== Promo ===
Line 63: Line 80:
 
=== Documentation and translation ===
 
=== Documentation and translation ===
 
* Add examples to manual pages
 
* Add examples to manual pages
 +
* Add examples to Wiki pages
 +
** GRASS-R/R-GRASS handling of raster time series
 +
** Sentinel-2 processing
 
* Translation of messages
 
* Translation of messages
 
* Translation of Wiki pages
 
* Translation of Wiki pages
 +
 +
=== Source code Quality Assessment ===
 +
* integrate "coverity scan" with Travis, https://scan.coverity.com/travis_ci
 +
* check "coverity scan": copy-paste errors, https://scan.coverity.com/projects/1038
  
 
=== Bug squashing ===
 
=== Bug squashing ===
 
* Open bugs concerning GRASS 7: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/report/19
 
* Open bugs concerning GRASS 7: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/report/19
 
* {{trac|2864}}: Add link to source code in the documentation pages (almost done, let's finish it!)
 
* {{trac|2864}}: Add link to source code in the documentation pages (almost done, let's finish it!)
 +
* {{trac|3042}}: Patches to make the build reproducible (fileordering, randomness)
 +
* fix i.histo.match: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2013-February/062179.html
 +
* Numpy and matplotlib issues when installing/updating from OSGeo4W (ticket [https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/3057 #3057])
 +
 +
=== Testing ===
 +
 +
Please test in GRASS 7.2.svn!
 +
* {{cmd|d.legend.vect|version=72}}
  
 
=== Improvements ===
 
=== Improvements ===
* improve r.modis addons  
+
* improve {{AddonCmd|r.modis}} addons
 
* integrate Google Summer of Code projects (where adequate)
 
* integrate Google Summer of Code projects (where adequate)
 
* continue working on OBIA toolchain:
 
* continue working on OBIA toolchain:
 
** Testing of mean shift in i.segment
 
** Testing of mean shift in i.segment
** Finalization of r.object.geometry and its integration into i.segment.uspo
+
** Finalization of {{AddonCmd|r.object.geometry}} and its integration into {{AddonCmd|i.segment.uspo}}
 
* add R-batch files to OSGeo4W-winGRASS7 see [https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/413 osgeo4w/ticket 413]
 
* add R-batch files to OSGeo4W-winGRASS7 see [https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/413 osgeo4w/ticket 413]
 +
* GUI: Implement an optional session "kickstart" in GRASS with LatLong predefined, then open import wizard | switch projection inside (like most other GIS do!)
 +
* TGRASS:
 +
** suffix option for output mapnames in t.rast.mapcalc and t.rast.algebra (tickets [https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2294 #2294] and [https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2736 #2736])
 +
** pattern option to list and remove space-time data sets (ticket [https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2804 #2804])
 +
** t.rast.what: input file with coordinates (ticket [https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2721 #2721])
 +
** t.remove: dual step removal (ticket [https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2752 #2752])
 +
** support for space-time datasets in g.gui.gmodeler (ticket [https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2977 #2977])
  
 
=== Better integration of git into development ===
 
=== Better integration of git into development ===
 
* since github/gitlab/bitbucket etc are a valuable and recognized source of new source code, we should be able to receive such contributions easily
 
* since github/gitlab/bitbucket etc are a valuable and recognized source of new source code, we should be able to receive such contributions easily
 +
** OSGeo currently deploys a self-hosted "gitlab" repo: https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/sac/2016-August/007345.html
  
 
... YOUR IDEA HERE ...
 
... YOUR IDEA HERE ...
  
== Participation ==
+
== Planned participation ==
  
 
For organizational reasons, please '''additionally register''' at: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2016_Code_Sprint
 
For organizational reasons, please '''additionally register''' at: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2016_Code_Sprint
Line 133: Line 173:
 
| August 21
 
| August 21
 
| August 28
 
| August 28
|  
+
| CRO, create_iwave.py, i.<nowiki>[rgb|his].[his|rgb]</nowiki>
 
| S or M
 
| S or M
 
|
 
|
Line 151: Line 191:
 
| August 21
 
| August 21
 
| August 27
 
| August 27
|
+
| Releases, OBIA toolchain, GSoC module integration
 
| M
 
| M
 
|
 
|
Line 160: Line 200:
 
| August 26
 
| August 26
 
| August 28
 
| August 28
|
+
| Port some Addons to python? (or whatever you put me up to)
 
| L
 
| L
 
|
 
|
 
|-
 
|-
|7
+
|8
 
|[[User:MilenaN|Milena Nowotarska]]
 
|[[User:MilenaN|Milena Nowotarska]]
 
|Poland
 
|Poland
Line 171: Line 211:
 
|
 
|
 
| M
 
| M
 +
|
 +
|-
 +
|9
 +
|[[User:annazanchetta|Anna Zanchetta]]
 +
|Italy - Israel
 +
| August 22
 +
| August 27
 +
| Implementing and improving some imagery modules, inshallah
 +
| S
 
|
 
|
 
|-
 
|-
Line 197: Line 246:
  
 
* Bring your own computer
 
* Bring your own computer
* Bring [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country your power connector adapter] if needed ([https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schuko_plug_and_socket.png Germany])
+
* Bring [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country your power connector adapter] if needed (photo: [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schuko_plug_and_socket.png Germany]). See also http://www.power-plugs-sockets.com/
 
* Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working GRASS development environment if possible.
 
* Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working GRASS development environment if possible.
  
 
== Photos ==
 
== Photos ==
  
We have to remember to take at least one group photo! :-)  
+
We have to remember to take at least one group photo! :-)
 +
 
 +
[[File:grass_sprint10_JoHempel.jpg|thumbnail|Photo by Jo Hempel]]
 +
 
 +
[[File:600px-FOSS4G OSGeo Code Sprint group photo.jpg|400px]]
 +
 
 +
[[File:Grass community sprint 2016.png|thumb|center|700px]]
 +
 
 +
== Reports ==
 +
 
 +
See [[Talk:GRASS_Community_Sprint_Bonn_2016]]
  
 
== FAQ ==
 
== FAQ ==
Line 213: Line 272:
 
* ''Where can I get help and more information about the community sprint?''
 
* ''Where can I get help and more information about the community sprint?''
 
** Contact [[User:Lucadelu|Luca Delucchi]] <tt><lucadeluge at gmail com></tt>
 
** Contact [[User:Lucadelu|Luca Delucchi]] <tt><lucadeluge at gmail com></tt>
 +
  
 
[[Category: Workshops]]
 
[[Category: Workshops]]
 
[[Category: Code Sprint]]
 
[[Category: Code Sprint]]
 
[[Category: 2016]]
 
[[Category: 2016]]

Latest revision as of 02:40, 20 September 2017

During the FOSS4G 2016 , 21-28 August 2016, Bonn, Germany, the GRASS GIS project will join the code sprint

Important dates:

  • CodeSprint I: Sun 21.08.2016 12:00 - Tue 23.08.2016 (open end) (see also here)
  • FOSS4G 2016 Schedule
  • CodeSprint II: Sat 27.08.2016 - Sun 28.08.2016 12:00 p.m. (see also here)

Purpose

Get together of GRASS GIS project members to take decisions and tackle small and larger problems.

For this meeting, we welcome people committed to improving the GRASS GIS project. This includes developers, documenters, bug reporters, translators, and users!

Sponsors

If you are interested to sponsor the GRASS Community Sprint, please read about
    sponsoring the GRASS project at http://grass.osgeo.org/donations/
and, if needed, contact Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to the GRASS GIS project.

The GRASS Community Sprint is a great occasion for you to support the development of GRASS. With your contribution you'll enable more developers to meet in Bonn. The community sprint is an important opportunity for the GRASS developers to discuss and collaboratively resolve bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. Please see below for the more detailed agenda. The developers and contributors are donating their valuable time, so it would be great if in-kind funding can be made available from within the community to cover out-of-pocket expenses. All of the work that takes place at the community sprint will be directly contributed back into the GRASS project to the benefit of everyone who uses it.

Thanks to our sponsors

Venue

Bonn, Germany: Basecamp

How to get to FOSS4G2016 OSGeo Code Sprint?

By train

By Car

  • Coming from the highway A59 Basecamp is located at the end of the highway A562. For navigation systems it is best to type Basecamp's address: "In der Raste 3, 53129 Bonn")

Accommodation and Costs

  • to be defined

Weather

Agenda - What we plan to do

Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please edit this wiki page!

More core developers with SVN write access

  • Develop a strategy to refresh the group with core SVN write access

Web site

Promo

  • Finalize the new GRASS GIS flyer prepared by Vincent Bain
    • needed: catchy time series screenshot

New Releases

Minor releases:

Major release:

Documentation and translation

  • Add examples to manual pages
  • Add examples to Wiki pages
    • GRASS-R/R-GRASS handling of raster time series
    • Sentinel-2 processing
  • Translation of messages
  • Translation of Wiki pages

Source code Quality Assessment

Bug squashing

Testing

Please test in GRASS 7.2.svn!

Improvements

  • improve r.modis addons
  • integrate Google Summer of Code projects (where adequate)
  • continue working on OBIA toolchain:
  • add R-batch files to OSGeo4W-winGRASS7 see osgeo4w/ticket 413
  • GUI: Implement an optional session "kickstart" in GRASS with LatLong predefined, then open import wizard | switch projection inside (like most other GIS do!)
  • TGRASS:
    • suffix option for output mapnames in t.rast.mapcalc and t.rast.algebra (tickets #2294 and #2736)
    • pattern option to list and remove space-time data sets (ticket #2804)
    • t.rast.what: input file with coordinates (ticket #2721)
    • t.remove: dual step removal (ticket #2752)
    • support for space-time datasets in g.gui.gmodeler (ticket #2977)

Better integration of git into development

... YOUR IDEA HERE ...

Planned participation

For organizational reasons, please additionally register at: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2016_Code_Sprint

In person

Please add your name here or contact Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail com>:

No Participant Country Arrival Departure Topic T-Shirt Notes
1 Luca Delucchi Italy August 21 August 28 L
2 Martin Landa Czech Republic August 21 August 28 L
3 Markus Neteler Italy August 21 August 28 Releases, project coordination, bug hunting, getting more ppl involved M
4 Nikos Alexandris Switzerland August 21 August 28 CRO, create_iwave.py, i.[rgb|his].[his|rgb] S or M
5 Veronica Andreo Argentina August 26 August 28 S
6 Moritz Lennert Belgium August 21 August 27 Releases, OBIA toolchain, GSoC module integration M
7 Stefan Blumentrath Norway August 26 August 28 Port some Addons to python? (or whatever you put me up to) L
8 Milena Nowotarska Poland August 21 August 28 M
9 Anna Zanchetta Italy - Israel August 22 August 27 Implementing and improving some imagery modules, inshallah S

Via IRC chat

(IRC is a nice archaic chat system, see IRC)

No Participant Country
1 Yann Chemin France
2 Helmut Kudrnovsky Austria

Individual Preparation

Photos

We have to remember to take at least one group photo! :-)

Photo by Jo Hempel

600px-FOSS4G OSGeo Code Sprint group photo.jpg

Grass community sprint 2016.png

Reports

See Talk:GRASS_Community_Sprint_Bonn_2016

FAQ

  • Is the GRASS Community Sprint just a coding event?
    • It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the GRASS project and/or are committed to improving the GRASS project.
    • On demand we can do some presentations of current working GRASS implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of Open Source GIS software
  • Is the GRASS Community Sprint for developers only?
    • No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
  • Where can I get help and more information about the community sprint?