GRASS Community Sprint Prague 2011
- DRAFT -
Preceding the Geoinformatics FCE CTU 2011 (Conference about Free Software and Open Source in Geoinformatics), 19-20 May 2011, Prague, Czech Republic, the GRASS GIS project will hold a GRASS Developer Meeting, aka 'GRASS Hackfest' from May 14 to May 18, 2011.
Get together GRASS project members to make decisions and tackle larger problems.
For this meeting, we welcome people committed to improving the GRASS GIS project. This includes developers, documenters, bug reporters, translators etc.
If you are interested to sponsor the GRASS hackfest, please contact Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to the GRASS GIS project (find more information about GRASS sponsorship here).
The first GRASS hackfest is a great occasion for you to support the development of GRASS. With your contribution you'll enable more developers to meet in Prague. The hackfest is an important opportunity for the GRASS developers to discuss and collaboratively resolve bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. Please see below for the more detailed agenda. The developers and contributors are donating their valuable time, so it would be great if in-kind funding can be made available from within the community to cover out-of-pocket expenses. All of the work that takes place at the hackfest will be directly contributed back into the GRASS project to the benefit of everyone who uses it.
When: Saturday, May 14, 2011 (day of arrival) - Wednesday, May 18, 2011 (last day, right before the conference Geoinformatics FCE CTU 2011)
Of course you are invited to join or leave the hackfest whenever you want.
- Saturday is day of arrival - first meeting in the evening to define the agenda
- Sunday to Tuesday full day
- Wednesday is the last day – since many developers will remain for the conference, hacking will just go on...
Department of Mapping and Cartography
Faculty of Civil Engineering
Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic
Room B169 (building B)
Prague has an international airport and is also reachable by train, bus or car.
Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please write an email to the GRASS developer list to discuss your contribution.
- Discuss new sponsoring concept
- Change manual to use Sphinx (see related trac ticket)
- backportMakefile system from GRASS 7 to GRASS 6
- Improve g.extension (enable to use prepared winGRASS Addon binaries)
- Define new toolbox concept
- Improve WPS support
Accommodation and Costs
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to Prague, variable depending on where you come from.
- Accommodation and meals
Please note: The currency in Czech Republic is crown (CZK, koruna, Kč). 100 Czech koruny are about 4 Euros
Accommodation in Prague:
Please let us know your time of arrival and leaving, so we can book for the accommodations and organize the logistics.
TO BE DEFINED: We will cover as much as possible thanks to our sponsors.
We are planning for attendance of XX people (i.e., hacking places) but of course you are welcome to join us and bring new ideas with you, as more places are available. Please add your name here or contact ZZZZ:
|2||Markus Neteler||14 May 2011||20 May 2011|
- Bring your own computer
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working GRASS development environment if possible.
Broadcast & Video
We plan to be online here.
- Is the GRASS Hackfest just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the GRASS project and/or are committed to improving the GRASS project.
- On demand we can do some presentations of current working GRASS implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of Open Source GIS software
- Is the GRASS Hackfest for developers only?
- No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
- Where can I get help and more information about the hackfest?
- Contact ZZZ