GRASS Community Sprint Prague 2012
The GRASS GIS team will organize a GRASS Developer and Power User Meeting, aka 'GRASS Community Sprint' from May 23 to May 28, 2012. The sprint is following the FOSS4G-CEE & Geoinformatics (Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial in Central and East Europe), 21-23 May 2012, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 21 (Monday) - 23 (Wednesday) May 2012: FOSS4G-CEE & Geoinformatics conference
- 23 (Wednesday) - 28 (Monday) May 2012: GRASS GIS Community Sprint @ FCE CTU
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Sponsors
- 3 Timing
- 4 Venue
- 5 Accommodation and Costs
- 6 Weather and Common Item Prices
- 7 Agenda - What we plan to do
- 8 Participation
- 9 Individual Preparation
- 10 Broadcast & Video
- 11 Photos
- 12 FAQ
Get together GRASS GIS project members to make decisions and tackle larger problems.
For this meeting, we welcome people committed to improving the GRASS GIS project. This includes developers, document writers, wish and bug reporters, translators etc.
We welcome financial contributions to support the meeting and we are looking for sponsors to cover costs such as meals or to help reducing travelling and accommodation expenses for GRASS developers with far arrival If you are interested to sponsor the GRASS Community Sprint, please read about
- sponsoring the GRASS project at http://grass.osgeo.org/donation.php
and, if needed, contact Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to the GRASS GIS project.
The first GRASS Community Sprint is a great occasion for you to support the development of GRASS. With your contribution you'll enable more developers to meet in Prague. The community sprint is an important opportunity for the GRASS developers to discuss and collaboratively resolve bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. Please see below for the more detailed agenda. The developers and contributors are donating their valuable time, so it would be great if in-kind funding can be made available from within the community to cover out-of-pocket expenses. All of the work that takes place at the community sprint will be directly contributed back into the GRASS project to the benefit of everyone who uses it.
Thanks to our sponsors
We are grateful for the support which we have received to organize this GRASS Community Sprint:
When: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 (day of arrival) - Monday, May 28, 2012 (day of departure)
Of course you are invited to join or leave the community sprint whenever you want.
- Wednesday is day of arrival
- First meeting in the evening (after the FOSS4G-CEE & Geoinfomatics conference) to define the agenda
- Thursday to Sunday
- Full days
- Monday is day of departure
- Probably hacking for people with a flight later in the evening
Prague has an international airport and is also reachable by train, bus or car.
Accommodation and Costs
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to Prague, variable depending on where you come from
- Accommodation and meals
- Masarykova Kolej Hotel
- Hotel DAP
- Hotel Krystal
- Pension Hanspaulka
- Hotel Silenzio
- Special offer: sleeping for free in the kindergarten (30min by city urban mass transportation from the university campus, sleeping bag required, kitchen and WC available, no showers, in working days available only from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.), contact Martin Landa for details
- See also http://www.hotel.cz/praha-6/accommodation/
Please let us know your time of arrival and leaving, so we can book for the accommodations and organize the logistics.
Financial support: (partial) travel grants can be payed upon request thanks to our sponsors!
Weather and Common Item Prices
- In May the weather in Prague is usually quite warm (15 or more degrees by day)
- A espresso coffee is about 20 CZK (80 cents), a beer (half of liter) in a common pub is around 25 CZK (1 euro), can be more in special pubs. In Prague you can have a full meal (see Czech cuisine) for still 75 - 150 CZK (3 - 6 euros), but beware of tourist restaurants, the prize can easily rise. It's quite easy to find in Prague also Italian or Chinese restaurants.
Agenda - What we plan to do
Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please write an email to the GRASS developer list to discuss your contribution.
Wednesday, 23 May
- Kick-off at
We are planning for attendance of 20 people (i.e., hacking places) but of course you are welcome to join us and bring new ideas with you, as more places are available. Please add your name here or contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
|1||Martin Landa||Czech Republic||May 20||May 28||Toolbox concept, vector engine in GRASS 7, wxGUI||L|
|2||Markus Neteler||Italy||May 20||May 26||odds and ends, varia||M|
|3||Luca Delucchi||Italy||May 20||May 26||r.modis, r.li.setup gui, v.in.geopaparazzi (only if andrea antonello come to Prague)||L|
|4||Andrea Antonello||Italy||May 21/22||May 25/26||v.in.geopaparazzi, grass-uDig link, singing at the pub with Luca Delucchi||L|
|5||Silvia Franceschi||Italy||May 21/22||May 25/26||Tutorial/Documentation around the hydraulic toolchain in grass||S|
|5||Peter Loewe||Germany||May 20/21||May 25/26||collecting beer-money while Luca and Andrea sing in pubs ; i.atcorr debugging ; g.cloud ? ; r.tsunami ? ; Tutorial/Documentation on g.infer||S|
|7||Add your name here...|
Via IRC chat
Collaborative document scratching
- EtherPad: http://etherpad.osuosl.org
- Bring your own computer
- Bring power connector adapter if needed (Czech Republic: 230V, 50Hz, Type C Europlugs are common and also Type E)
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working GRASS development environment if possible.
Broadcast & Video
During the event :)
Also during the event :)
- How was it last year?
- Very nice, see GRASS Community Sprint Prague 2011!
- Is the GRASS Community Sprint just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the GRASS project and/or are committed to improving the GRASS project.
- On demand we can do some presentations of current working GRASS implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of Open Source GIS software
- Is the GRASS Community Sprint for developers only?
- No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
- Where can I get help and more information about the community sprint?
- Contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>