GRASS Community Sprint Prague 2013
The GRASS GIS team will organize 4th GRASS Developer and Power User Meeting, aka 'GRASS Community Sprint' from July 12 to July 18, 2013. The sprint is following the Geoinformatics conference, 11-12 July 2013, Czech Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic. Important dates:
- 11 (Thusday) - 12 (Friday) July 2013: Geoinformatics conference
- 12 (Friday) - 18 (Thusday) July 2013: GRASS GIS Community Sprint @ FCE CTU
This fourth edition of the GRASS GIS Community Sprint 2013 is a great occasion for folks to support the development by actively contributing to the source code, manuals or likewise. The community sprint is a get-together for GRASS project members and supporters and related OSGeo projects to make decisions and tackle larger problems. For this meeting, we welcome people committed to improving the GRASS GIS project and the interfaces to QGIS, GDAL, PostGIS, R statistics, Sextante, gvSIG, OGC Services (esp. WPS) and more. This includes developers, documenters, bug reporters, translators and others.
For this meeting, we welcome people committed to improving the GRASS GIS and related projects. This includes developers, document writers, wish and bug reporters, translators etc.
We welcome financial contributions to support the meeting and we are looking for sponsors to cover costs such as meals or to help reducing travelling and accommodation expenses for GRASS developers with far arrival If you are interested to sponsor the GRASS Community Sprint, please read about
- sponsoring the GRASS project at http://grass.osgeo.org/donation.php
and, if needed, contact Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to the GRASS GIS project.
The GRASS Community Sprint is a great occasion for you to support the development of GRASS. With your contribution you'll enable more developers to meet in Prague. The community sprint is an important opportunity for the GRASS developers to discuss and collaboratively resolve bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. Please see below for the more detailed agenda. The developers and contributors are donating their valuable time, so it would be great if in-kind funding can be made available from within the community to cover out-of-pocket expenses. All of the work that takes place at the community sprint will be directly contributed back into the GRASS project to the benefit of everyone who uses it.
Thanks to our sponsors
We are grateful for the support which we have received to organize this GRASS Community Sprint:
- remainder from the 2012 edition of the Community Sprint and small donations (via GFOSS.it, the Italian OSGeo chapter) - 1400 Euro
- Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) - 1000 Euro
When: Friday, July 12, 2013 (day of arrival) - Thursday, July 18, 2013 (day of departure)
Of course you are invited to join or leave the community sprint whenever you want.
- Friday is day of arrival
- First meeting in the afternoon (after the Geoinformatics conference) to define the agenda
- Saturday to Wednesday
- Full days
- Thursday is day of departure
- Probably hacking for people with a flight later in the evening
Prague has an international airport and is also reachable by train, bus or car.
Accommodation and Costs
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- The participation is free of charge
- Travel to Prague, variable depending on where you come from
- Accommodation and meals (with the donated sponsorship money we will try to cover some expenses of the participants)
- Masarykova Kolej Hotel
- Hotel DAP
- Hotel Krystal
- Pension Hanspaulka
- Hotel Silenzio
- Student hostels (CTU)
- Special offer: sleeping for free in the kindergarten (30min by city urban mass transportation from the university campus, sleeping bag required, kitchen and WC available, no showers, in working days available only from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.), contact Martin Landa for details
- See also http://www.hotel.cz/praha-6/accommodation/
Please let us know your time of arrival and leaving, so we can book for the accommodations and organize the logistics.
Financial support: (partial) travel grants can be payed upon request thanks to our sponsors!
Weather and Common Item Prices
- In July the weather in Prague is usually quite warm (15 or more degrees by day)
- A espresso coffee is about 25 CZK (1 Euro), a beer (half of litter) in a common pub is around 30 CZK (1 euro 20 cents), can be more in special pubs. In Prague you can have a full meal (see Czech cuisine for still 75 - 150 CZK (3 - 6 euros), but beware of tourist restaurants, the price can easily rise. It's quite easy to find in Prague also Italian or Chinese restaurants.
Agenda - What we plan to do
Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please write an email to the GRASS developer list to discuss your contribution.
Further details about the action items you find here and below. Topics cover non-technical, semi-technical, and technical issues.
Friday, 12 July
- (time to be defined): Kick-off in the Faculty of Civil Engineering, building B, room 367 (3rd floor, map)
- Participants presentation
Saturday, 13 July
Sunday, 14 July
Monday, 15 July
Tuesday, 16 July
Wednesday, 17 July
Thursday, 18 July
- Last meeting
- Farewell and have a good trip home
We are planning for attendance of 20 people (i.e., hacking places) but of course you are welcome to join us and bring new ideas with you, as more places are available. Please add your name here or contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
|1||Martin Landa||Czech Republic||July 12||July 18||Toolbox concept, vector engine in GRASS 7, wxGUI, PostGIS Topology support||L|
|2||(put your name here)|
Via IRC chat
- #grass on Freenode
For details, see IRC
Collaborative document scratching
(Power) users from all over the world are kindly invited to assist with testing of new and existing functionality. To collect results and notes, we set up an interactive, collaborative editing tool which works in real-time:
Please check http://titanpad.com/I51nq1SrNc
- Bring your own computer
- Bring power connector adapter if needed (Czech Republic: 230V, 50Hz, File:Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg Type C Europlugs are common and also File:French_plug_and_socket.jpg Type E)
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working GRASS development environment if possible.
Broadcast & Video
During the event :)
Also during the event :)
- How was the last community sprint?
- Very nice, see GRASS Community Sprint Genova 2013!
- Is the GRASS Community Sprint just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the GRASS project and/or are committed to improving the GRASS project.
- On demand we can do some presentations of current working GRASS implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of Open Source GIS software
- Is the GRASS Community Sprint for developers only?
- No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
- Where can I get help and more information about the community sprint?
- Contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>