GRASS GCI Ideas 2017
This is the GRASS page for Google Code In 2017. Here we will list task ideas and other information related to the GRASS GCI projects.
What is Google Code-In?
Pre-university students ages 13 to 17 are invited to take part in Google Code-in: Our global, online, contest introducing teenagers to the world of open source. With a wide variety of bite-sized tasks, it’s easy for beginners to jump in and get started no matter what skills they have. Mentors from our participating organizations lend a helping hand as participants learn what it’s like to work on an open source project. For more details, see Google Code-In main page.
How does it work?
- Students search for a task that interests them and claim it. They have at least three days and up to five to complete it.
- The student works on the task, getting guidance from mentors, if needed.
- Once the student has finished, he/she submits the work for review through the contest website.
- Mentors from the organization evaluate the work, provide feedback, and if it's complete, accept it! Otherwise, specific feedback is provided, and the student goes back to step #2!
- Go to step #1 and repeat!
More details can be found at: https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/how-it-works
The organizations should create a large list of short (3-5 hour) tasks for students to work on. Tasks are categorized as: Code, Documentation/Training, Outreach/Research, Quality Assurance, or User Interface. Some examples of tasks of different categories can be found here.
Ideas for tasks
Some ideas collected so far:
- Create a screenshot for the next 74 release announcement
- Design the t-shirt for the next code-sprint
- Add examples to manual pages
- Make a promo video for GRASS GIS
- Make new tutorial videos for GRASS GIS
- Enhance the visual index
- Make screenshots to populate the visual change log in new features pages (e.g., for New Features GRASS 7.4)
- Create icons/phrases to include in sticker sheets
- Give a talk about GRASS GIS to classmates
- Submit a patch for a certain bug or enhancement ticket
- Contribute tests for modules
- add your own idea...
Details about the tasks
- There should be some very simple and introductory tasks such as installing GRASS GIS and making a screenshot, intermediate tasks, and more advanced ones as those involving a bit (more) of coding. A certain large task might also be split into smaller tasks.
- Those general ideas like "make examples for manual pages" might then be replicated for several modules, for example, and each one will constitute a task.
- Translations are not allowed by Google Code In as tasks.
List of available mentors to follow the tasks
Note: To sign up as a mentor, write an email to: email@example.com.