GRASS SoC Ideas 2007
GRASS related ideas for the Google Summer of Code 2007:
- Improved Line of Sight Analysis in GRASS
Line of sight determination is a very important analysis to have available in a GIS. The GRASS module that currently performs this function, r.los, has a number of limitations, including being very slow to run and unable to handle large high-resolution datasets. The task: write a new r.los module based on the paper 'A Fast Algorithm for Approximate Viewshed Computation' published in 'Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing' July 2003: http://www.asprs.org/publications/pers/2003journal/july/2003_jul_767-774.pdf Incorporate features of r.cva (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~tcrnmar/GIS/r.cva.html), which cannot currently be incorporated in GRASS for licensing reasons, and extend with other functionality as appropriate.
The work will involve familiarisation with the GRASS raster library for reading and writing maps, the GRASS vector library for reading analysis location sites. It is expected that the GRASS directed graph library will also be useful for implementing many features of the algorithm (specifically, determining the crossing points and distances between the cells).
Some hints on what's involved in GRASS programming are available here: http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/grass6/SUBMITTING
Potential Mentor: Paul Kelly
- carry on the work on r.li --Cavallini 14:37, 27 February 2007 (CET)
- better implement PostGIS support
- integrate GDAL as part of GRASS raster library: GRASS raster "live links" proposal
- integrate OGR as part of GRASS vector library
- please expand, I don't understand what you mean -HB
- Paul Kelly (for line of sight project)