GRASS SoC Ideas 2013
Revision as of 18:51, 14 February 2013 by PierreRoudier (Added "interface to OTB" as a suggestion)
This is the GRASS page for Google Summer of Code 2013. Here we will list project ideas and and other information related to the GRASS GSoC projects.
- Project ideas of your own are also most welcome and often the best.
Symbology / Cartography
- Allow display of a vector legend in the map display (equivalent to current implementation for rasters)
- Expand symbology
- HB: note that SoC only accepts coding projects, not graphics design or documentation projects. Adding svg/eps support to a d.* module and ps.map would be quite helpful. See the help page and 's "eps" and "vpoints" instructions.
- Rework the complete set of thematic cartography tools such as and and the related classification routines
- Based on the work on segmentation in GSoC 2012 develop routines for object-based (ore region-based) image classification. This probably entails:
- Characterizing segments. Thsi includes producing statistics such as mean, median, variance of the segmented data within each delineated segment.
- Classifying segments based on the characteristics and (possibly) training areas
- Interface with other modules in a consistent workflow (i.cluster, r.fuzzy, etc)
- Implement hierarchical classification tools (e.g. being able to create a large class "forest", with subclasses of different types of forests)
- Interface with the Orfeo toolbox (OTB), which is an open source, ITK-based, C++ library of (spatial) image processing library. OTB implements a very wide set of interesting features for anybody working with raster data - in particular satellite imagery: radiometric corrections, orthorectification, filtering, feature extraction, image segmentation , classification, change detection, etc.