GRASS ToDo List
This page should help those that are interested in helping with GRASS find a project they can work on. If you decide to work on any of the tasks, please announce it on the GRASS Developers list and add a note here on this page.
When you encounter a problem using GRASS, first read the documentation, then ask on the users list. If the problem seems to be a bug with GRASS and not a usage error, file a bugreport in the GRASS bug tracker. Please fill in all the fields and be as precise as possible in your error description (for example: do not write "it does not work", but "I get the following error message: xxx").
With the release of GRASS 5.4 and 6.0, development will focus on 6.1. You can participate in development in the following ways:
- fixing bugs - see the GRASS bug tracker
- new ModulePortingList - porting status from 5.3 to 5.7
- implementing new features - check out the Grass wish list
Since 5.7, GRASS has one internal GUI, the GIS Manager (d.m), a tcl/tk interface to the GRASS modules. Recent development has been towards the integration of access to GRASS data from general cartographic viewers, such as Quantum GIS (already implemented) and Thuban (on the roadmap?). Since 6.1, there is a new GIS Manager being worked in (gis.m).
So, you can help either with:
- GIS Manager (contact Michael Barton via the developers list
- integration of GRASS access into other software (see respective web sites)
- correct and enhance man pages (see ManContribHowTo)
- compile a FAQ (more complete than GrassFAQPage)
- write a beginners tutorial for GRASS 6 (already done in German, currently being translated to english, FDL)
- write HOWTOs on specific tasks
- check out the GRASS messages translation project (i18N) if you want to help translating internal GRASS messages
- translate man pages
- [%ATTACHURL%/grass57-install-run.txt][grass57-install-run.txt] (partially outdated)