GRASS ToDo List
This page should help those that are interested in helping with GRASS find a project they can work on. If you decide to work on any of the tasks, please announce it on the [GRASS Developers list] and add a note here on this page.
When you encounter a problem using GRASS, first read the documentation, then ask on the users list. If the problem seems to be a bug with GRASS and not a usage error, file a bugreport in the [GRASS bug tracker]. Please fill in all the fields and be as precise as possible in your error description (for example: do not write "it does not work", but "I get the following error message: xxx").
With the release of GRASS 5.4 and 6.0, development will focus on 6.1. You can participate in development in the following ways:
- fixing bugs - see the [GRASS bug tracker]
- new ModulePortingList - porting status from 5.3 to 5.7
- implementing new features - check out the [Grass wish list]
Since 5.7 GRASS has one internal GUI, the GIS Manager (d.m), a tcl/tk interface to the GRASS modules. Recent development has been towards the integration of access to GRASS data from general cartographic viewers, such as [Quantum GIS] (already implemented) and [Thuban] (on the roadmap?).
So, you can help either with:
- GIS Manager (contact Michael Barton via the [developers list]
- integration of GRASS access into other software (see respective web sites)
- correct and enhance man pages (see ManContribHowTo)
- compile a FAQ (more complete than GrassFAQPage)
- write a beginners tutorial for GRASS 6 (already done in German, currently being translated to english, FDL)
- write HOWTOs on specific tasks
- check out the [GRASS messages translation project (i18N)] if you want to help translating internal GRASS messages
- translate man pages
- [%ATTACHURL%/grass57-install-run.txt][grass57-install-run.txt] (partially outdated)