GRASS migration hints
Migrating to GRASS
Welcome! There is a lot of help on the web and a wealth of expertise available on the mailing lists and via IRC.
GIS "The GRASS way"
Collaboration with external software is highly encouraged.
- GDAL/OGR for Import/Export
- R statistics: GRASS/R interface
- DXF: v.in.dxf, v.out.dxf
- Matlab/Octave: r.in.mat, r.out.mat, v.in.mapgen, v.in.ascii, v.out.ascii
- POVray: r.out.pov, v.out.pov
- VMRL: p.out.vrml
- GMT - Generic Mapping Tools for cartography: r.in.bin, r.out.bin
- Google Earth/KML: v.out.ogr
- VTK (Paraview, etc): r3.out.vtk, r.out.vtk, v.out.vtk
- V5D: r3.in.v5d, r3.out.v5d
- All code POSIX C and generic UNIX compatible
- Most code MinGW compatible for native MS-Windows
- GRASS is made up of modular tools specifically designed for easy scriptability in any number of common scripting languages
- SWIG interface for direct hooks into higher scripting languages
Tips for recent migrants
- Tips for ArcInfo users
- GRASS 4 and 5 users: [GRASS Module Porting List] (check here if you don't find a certain command in GRASS 6)