HOWTO import USGS elevation data
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The US Geological Survey offers a variety of digital elevation models through the "Seamless Distribution System. Here is an approach to working with them in GRASS.
Importing USGS 1/3" NED datasets into GRASS
- Download the datasets you desire. They will arrive in a zip archive of a directory containing a subdirectory containing a file called w001001.adf, which is the main data file (tip: this is the biggest file).
- Create a new GRASS location to work with the DEMs. From a GRASS shell:
- cd 18437824/18437824 (example directory names --- replace with your actual names)
- r.in.gdal location=name_of_your_new_location in=w001001.adf out=dem
- Start GRASS in the new location.
- Import additional files as needed:
- r.in.gdal in=w001001.adf out=dem2
- .. etc.
- Use r.patch to combine the tiles into one continuous map, if desired.