HOWTO import USGS elevation data
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 01:35, 10 May 2007 by HamishBowman (talk | contribs) (→Importing USGS 1/3" NED datasets into GRASS: link is already there)
The US Geological Survey offers a variety of digital elevation models through the "Seamless Distribution System. Here is an approach to working with them in GRASS.
Importing USGS 1/3" NED datasets into GRASS
1. Download the datasets you desire. They will arrive in a zip archive of a directory containing a subdirectory containing a file called w001001.adf, which is the main data file (tip: this is the biggest file).
2. Create a new GRASS location to work with the DEMs.
From a GRASS shell:
cd 18437824/18437824(example directory names --- replace with your actual names)
r.in.gdal location=name_of_your_new_location in=w001001.adf out=dem
3. (re)Start GRASS in the new location.
4. Import additional files as needed:
r.in.gdal in=w001001.adf out=dem2
- .. etc.
5. Use r.patch to combine the tiles into one continuous map, if desired.