Migration from CVS to SVN
NOTE 2008: The migration has be done - this page is archived for historical reasons
This page contains notes related to GRASS code migration (planned) from CVS to SVN.
- October 2007: It has been decided to open the SVN at OSGeo
- The SVN command line interface is just like CVS, many tasks are identical - just change the program name from cvs to svn.
GRASS CVS repository structure
/grass-cvs | +---/grass | +---/grass51 | +---/grass6 | +---/grass_doc | +---/libgrass | +---/newsletter | +---/programgrass50 | +---/web
GRASS OSGeo SVN repository structure
See Discussion page for details.
/grass-svn | +---/grass | | | +---/trunk (grass6 CVS HEAD) | | | +---/branches | | | | | +---/releasebranch_5_x (note: 5_5 based on grass5 CVS HEAD) | | | | | +---/releasebranch_6_x | | | +---/tags | |---/grass-addons | +---/grass-web | | | +---/trunk
- grass51, grass_doc, libgrass and programgrass50 are dead, will be not migrated
- grass migrated as grass/branches/releasebranch_5_5
- web migrated as grass-web
- newsletter will be merged with OSGeo newsletter repository
- wxPython GUI moved from grass-addons to grass code base (grass/gui/wxpython)
- gui/wxpython/screenshots removed, can be part of grass-addons (e.g. grass-addons/screenshots/wxpython)
For text files are used keywords=Author Date Id Revision, in detail:
GRASS 7 development notes
- My Experiences With Subversion by Simon Tatham
- cvs2svn tool page
- Migration plan example
- Converting CVS to subversion
- List CVS Tags
- Online book: Version Control with Subversion
There are two main options to host the new SVN repository.