Migration from CVS to SVN
Revision as of 16:05, 5 December 2007 by Landa (cosmetics)
This page contains notes related to GRASS code migration (planned) from CVS to SVN.
- The SVN command line interface is just like CVS, many tasks are identical- just change the program name from cvs to svn.
- cvs2svn is known to break binary files (images) which were not imported into the CVS with the -kb flag. Luckily Glynn fixed most of these some months ago.
- Files using keyword substitution, such as $Date$ in the description.html files, will have to have support for that enabled manually, once per file (or write a find routine with | xargs svn ...).
$ svn propset svn:keywords "Date" filename.txt $ svn commit
$ find . -name '*.c' | xargs svn propset svn:keywords "Date" $ find . -name '*.html' | xargs svn propset svn:keywords "Date" $ svn commit
- how to maintain timestamps of files? We want to keep the last modification date, not the date of local download
GRASS CVS repository structure
/grass-cvs | +---/CVSROOT | +---/grass | +---/grass51 | +---/grass6 | +---/grass_doc | +---/libgrass | +---/newsletter | +---/programgrass50 | +---/web
GRASS OSGeo SVN repository structure
/grass-svn | +---/grass | | | +---/trunk (grass6 CVS HEAD) | | | +---/branches | | | | | +---/releasebranch_5_x (note: 5_5 based on grass5 CVS HEAD) | | | | | +---/releasebranch_6_x | | | +---/tags | |---/grass-addons | +---/grass-web | | | +---/trunk
./grass-cvs2svn-base.sh ./grass-cvs2svn-s2.sh ./grass-cvs2svn-wxpython.sh
GRASS 7 development notes
- My Experiences With Subversion by Simon Tatham
- cvs2svn tool page
- Migration plan example
- Converting CVS to subversion
- List CVS Tags
- Online book: Version Control with Subversion
There are two main options to host the new SVN repository.