Difference between revisions of "Planetary mapping"
m (added youtube link for Isis menu demo)
m (→Modules: use youtube template...)
|Line 53:||Line 53:|
=== Mars topography ===
=== Mars topography ===
Revision as of 12:51, 6 June 2014
- GRASS lat/lon regions may be used as 0-360 longitude, not just 180 east+west.
- In GRASS 6 you can set and add custom ellipsoids, see the here. module. Permanently adding custom ellipsoids can be done by hand, the config tables for that are plain self-documenting text files, so reasonably easy to edit. An ellipse table with planetary spheroids (to put as $GISBASE/etc/*.table files) is available
- GRASS 7 now includes the planetary ellipsoid tables and support is present in the wxGUI location wizard.
Getting Started with both ISIS3 & GRASS
- GRASS 7 now recognizes ISIS3.x installation and runs automatically the ISIS-GRASS bridge, CLI prompt is set to ISIS-GRASS. ISIS commands are available through the ISIS-GRASS command prompt.
Getting Started with using ISIS3 data in GRASS
- You can create a GRASS Location based on ISIS3 .cub raster directly
- can read natively the .cub rasters inside ISIS3 data directory (no need import)
- If you want to import into GRASS any .cub from ISIS3 use
- complains about 'Mars' datum unknown
- exports 'unknown' ellipsoids / datums, and also the reference meridian is named 'Greenwich'
Example of the use of GRASS GIS in Planetary Research
GRASS article in the journal Science.output as published in an
Data summary (1999):
- many many more formats will handle HDF and netCDF and
- will load raw binary data
- see also the GRASS and GMT wiki page for interfacing with GMT Mapping Tools
- is an addon module for GRASS 7 which estimates the size of a gravity dominated impact crater, or alternatively works backwards to estimate the size of the projectile that made it.
- Stereoscopic analysis and Stereo anaglyphs wiki pages) is an addon module for creating 3D stereo images. (see
- g.isis3mt: will output an ISIS3 Maptemplate according to the one currently used in the GRASS Location.
- isis-grass: a startup script that will setup a common command line interface from which both ISIS3 and GRASS commands may be called.
- A script can generate on-the-fly an Isis Menu using the Toolboxes from wxGUI
See tutorial in GRASSNews volume 1:
- Global dataset of bathymetry and topography. GRASS Newsletter, 1:8-11, August 2004. ISSN 1614-8746.
- Frigeri, A, Hare, T, Neteler, M., Coradini, A, Federico, C, Orosei, R. (2011). A research environment for digital planetary data processing and mapping using ISIS and GRASS GIS. Planetary and Space Science, 59(11-12), pp.1265-1272 [ DOI | PDF ]
- these just define the simple reference ellipsoids, so dx=dy=dz=0.
- GRASS currently uses the IAU2000 definitions in the ellipse.table.solar.system file.