- GRASS lat/lon regions may be used as 0-360 longitude, not just 180 east+west.
- You can set and add custom ellipsoids, see the g.setproj module. Permanently adding custom ellipsoids can be done by hand, the config tables for that are plain self-documenting text files, so reasonably easy to edit. We would of course be happy to include standard planetary ellipsoids along with future versions GRASS. An ellipse table with planetary spheroids (to put as $GISBASE/etc/*.table files) is available here.
Data summary (1999):
- r.in.gdal will handle HDF and netCDF and many many more formats
- r.in.bin will load raw binary data
- see also the GRASS and GMT wiki page for interfacing with GMT Mapping Tools
See tutorial in GRASSNews volume 1:
- Global dataset of bathymetry and topography. GRASS Newsletter, 1:8-11, August 2004. ISSN 1614-8746.