Most of GRASS's tutorials and help page examples are built around two sample datasets. You can(or a )
- Spearfish, South Dakota - this dataset has been with GRASS for many years.
- North Carolina - this is a newly developed dataset with modern layers. (e.g. shortest path bus routing, SQL database queries)
- The original shapefiles for Wake county in the North Carolina dataset are available at http://www.wakegov.com/gis/services/data.htm
- Metadata for these shapefiles are available at ftp://wakeftp.co.wake.nc.us/gis/Webdownloads/METADATA/
If you would like to experiment with some local data, have a look at the Global datasets wiki page.
Ideas for new datasets
- provided as separate MAPSETS that can be inserted into nc_spm_08 or gisdemo_ncspm
- each MAPSET will have at least one example of application
Proposed new MAPSETS
- Road and street networks (nconemap, ncdot) from http://www.ncdot.org/it/gis/DataDistribution/DOTData/default.html
- LRS road network, Integrated Statewide Road network, Bike Paths
- updated streets for wake http://www.wakegov.com/gis/services/data.htm
- add boundaries and POI for reference?
- include emergency centers ? hurricane evacuation routes? potential emergency shelters?
- include stream network?
New MAPSET Time_series_coast
- Coastal lidar point clouds, 1m res DEMs, 15 years in 10-15 snapshots, plus 1974 DEM for Jockey's Ridge,
aerial photos starting in 1936. The data set is rather complex with variable spatial coverage and time step, (see the description) but should be useful for testing and teaching more complex analyses.
- mapset that includes DEMs and orthos for Jockey's ridge
- to keep the mapset at reasonable size the raw x,y,z point clouds
are packaged separately, they can be imported with v.in.ascii or r.in.xyz http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea792/common/media/nc_coast_pointseries.zip
- reference location for North Carolina with projection information (nc_spm_08 can also be used)
- "Getting started" with this data set assignment
(I will add a space-time cube practice soon).
- TODO: add 2009, 2010, 2011 lidar data and 2011 imagery
- smaller data set with DEMs only http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea582/common/media/01/NagsHead_series.zip
New MAPSET Landuse_img
- new 4 channel 1m res 2009 imagery NAID
- new NLCD 2006 from USGS and NLCD2001
- 0.15m res ortho?
- Include any post storm, post hurricane, post flood imagery for training purposes? See example here: http://www.ncdot.org/it/gis/DataDistribution/SpecialData/NCStormDamageAndCleanup.html
New MAPSET Time_series_census
this may take more time to prepare
data are available for 1970,80,90,2000,2010
combine with election districts?
- Clean up and provide nc_ll, nc_utm, nc_spf for testing projections
EXTERNAL data sets for testing external data formats
- point cloud asci, las
- MRsid, geotiff?
Anything else from here?
- Course material http://courses.ncsu.edu/mea582/common/GIS_anal_lecture/GIS_Anal_webdata.html
- Additional data for North Carolina http://www.nconemap.com/Default.aspx?tabid=286
- Additional data for Wake county in North Carolina http://www.wakegov.com/gis/services/data.htm