Talk:GRASS Community Sprint Bonn 2016
Thoughts and impressions from the GRASS GIS Community Sprint at FOSS4G 2016
Last week we had the pleasure to attend the International FOSS4G 2016 Conference in Bonn. But not only that... Both, before and after the conference, "Code Sprints" took place. What is a "Code Sprint"? Basically, it is a group of free and open source developers who (fueled with beer, coffee and snacks/pizza/sandwiches) gather to develop new stuff, enhance existing tools, perform bug fixing, translate and write documentation, discuss and decide the way to go with the software they contribute to (essentially the software they love we would say, it all comes to that). Anyway, in this context, also GRASS GIS developers gathered in what we usually call the "Community Sprints", since it's not only a meeting of developers but also of users, and other contributors - everybody is welcome and their help appreciated.
So, what did we do at these two sprints?
Well, first of all, we had a great time! It is always a great joy to meet again (or in some cases even for the first time) with those people that use to answer your emails in the mailing list(s), fix or enhance modules, help in so many ways... One feels at home :-)
But we also worked a lot! The most important is that the last GRASS GIS 6 version was released on Sunday at 1:00 am or so . Also several other issues were discussed and addressed, i.e.: the next minor release of 7.0.5 - planned for mid of September, and the new major release of GRASS GIS 7.2.0, which is planned for 1st of October 2016. Furthermore, the styling of a new Web site for the GRASS GIS project was lively discussed. Moreover, the participants fixed a number of bugs, backported numerous features, cleaned outdated tickets, and added some new features. Even a new add-on was developed in these days. Eventually also some tutorials explaining how to work with time series and Sentinel-2 satellite data got written up. Last but not least, a member of the community provided a new flyer for GRASS GIS. Please help us translating, improving and distributing it!
Oh! And by Sunday evening, also the PSC election 2016 time was over, and we got a new PSC (See results here)! Congratulations!!! For the first time, users that have contributed to GRASS GIS project were formally invited to vote... Isn't that great? Therefore, Community Sprints, Community Spirit ;-)
Join and en-joy GRASS GIS!
Participants and Reports
- OBIA Toolchain
- Cleaned up r.object.geometry and moved it to addons + ,
- Modified to user.object.geometry instead of v.to.db
- Improved error handling in i.segment.stats and use temporary files on disk to reduce memory use
- Modified to also allow testing new mean shift algorithm (currently only available in sandbox)
- Tested mean shift algorithm
- Working on 6.4.6 release
- General bug triaging
- Backported fix of to release_64
- Backported fix of to release_64
- Scratched an old itch and implement a flag in to allow shell style output in flat (one line) style
- assist CRO in cleaning PSC election voter email addresses (400 addresses reduced to 240 clean addresses)
- minor pseudo-mercator discussions
- major datum shift file discussions with Even Rouault (GDAL) and fellow GRASS sprinters: libproj cleanup of local copies of NAD and datum shift files which are indeed used from GDAL; extended documentation in README.txt ( , )
- GRASS GIS 6.4.6 release management
- tagging, packaging source code, upload
- writing announcement together with Milena, Vero and Moritz: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/6.4.6-News
- checking backports together with Martin Landa for GRASS GIS 7.0.5 and for the planned GRASS GIS 7.2.0
- written draft Sentinel-2 processing script for Vero
- backports: , etc
- : major backport of Adam's GSoC work to 7.2. (please test!)
- fix ,
- Fix ,
- Bug reports for 7.0.5 milestone reviewed, outdated tickets closed
- Log overview
- Tutorials (to be published soon):
- R-GRASS integration for raster time series handling/processing.
- Sentinel-2 processing chain in GRASS with Markus' help.
- Discussed with Stefan about new add-on design and helped testing (See ).
- Helped testing new pymodis.
- Wrote draft of announcement for GRASS 6.4.6 release along with Milena, Moritz and Markus.
- CRO related tasks
- Patched create_iwave.py, see -- mentored by Moritz.
- Rewrote to allow for 16-bit input data -- need to test more though.
- Corrected erroneous function in -- thanks to Stefan Blumentrath!
- Rewrite: -- see !
- Scratching a new version for `create_iwave.py` -- vision: one Class to rule them all.
- Reviewing options to fuse with/into
- working mostly in pyModis sorry
- started to update r.modis
- discussed about new website
- submit and work on the new flyer created by Vincent Bain (https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-promo/grassflyer/flyer_2016/)
- Translated the flyer in Italian
- wrote v.in.pygbif addon (https://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass-addons/grass7/vector/v.in.pygbif) for downloading species occurrence data from GBIF using pygbif (with kind support from Lucca, Vero and Helmut)