Difference between revisions of "GRASS Community Sprint Prague 2011"
|Line 321:||Line 321:|
Revision as of 15:46, 14 May 2011
Succeeding the Geoinformatics FCE CTU 2011 (International Conference on Free Software and Open Source in Geoinformatics), 19-20 May 2011, Prague, Czech Republic, the GRASS GIS project will hold a GRASS Developer and Power User Meeting, aka 'GRASS Community Sprint' from May 20 to May 25, 2011.
- 19 (Thursday) - 20 (Friday) May 2011: Geoinformatics FCE CTU 2011 conference
- 20 (Friday) - 25 (Wednesday) May 2011: GRASS Community Sprint @ FCE CTU
Get together GRASS project members to make decisions and tackle larger problems.
For this meeting, we welcome people committed to improving the GRASS GIS project. This includes developers, documenters, bug reporters, translators etc.
If you are interested to sponsor the GRASS Community Sprint, please read about
sponsoring the GRASS project at http://grass.osgeo.org/donation.php
and, if needed, contact Markus Neteler <neteler at osgeo.org>. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to the GRASS GIS project.
The first GRASS Community Sprint is a great occasion for you to support the development of GRASS. With your contribution you'll enable more developers to meet in Prague. The community sprint is an important opportunity for the GRASS developers to discuss and collaboratively resolve bugs, plan the direction for the project and work on new features. Please see below for the more detailed agenda. The developers and contributors are donating their valuable time, so it would be great if in-kind funding can be made available from within the community to cover out-of-pocket expenses. All of the work that takes place at the community sprint will be directly contributed back into the GRASS project to the benefit of everyone who uses it.
Thanks to our sponsors
We are grateful for the support which we have received to organize this GRASS Community Sprint:
- GFOSS.it Associazione Italiana per l'Informazione Geografica Libera - 1300 Euro
- Stefan Sylla, sylla-consult, Frankfurt, Germany - 100 Euro
- R3 GIS, Merano, Italy - 500 euro
When: Friday, May 20, 2011 (day of arrival) - Wednesday, May 25, 2011 (day of departure)
Of course you are invited to join or leave the community sprint whenever you want.
- Friday is day of arrival
- First meeting in the evening (after the conference) to define the agenda
- Saturday to Tuesday
- Full days
- Wednesday is day of departure
- Probably hacking for people with a flight later in the evening
Prague has an international airport and is also reachable by train, bus or car.
Accommodation and Costs
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to Prague, variable depending on where you come from
- Accommodation and meals
- Masarykova Kolej Hotel
- Hotel DAP
- Hotel Krystal
- Pension Hanspaulka
- Hotel Silenzio
- Special offer: sleeping for free in the kindergarten (30min by city urban mass transportation from the university campus, sleeping bag required, kitchen and WC available, no showers, in working days available only from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m.), contact Martin Landa for details
- See also http://www.hotel.cz/praha-6/accommodation/
Please let us know your time of arrival and leaving, so we can book for the accommodations and organize the logistics.
TO BE DEFINED: We will cover as much as possible thanks to our sponsors.
Weather and Common Item Prices
- In May the weather in Prague is usually quite warm (15 or more degrees by day)
- A espresso coffee is about 20 CZK (80 cents), a beer (half of liter) in a common pub is around 25 CZK (1 euro), can be more in special pubs. In Prague you can have a full meal (see Czech cuisine) for still 75 - 150 CZK (3 - 6 euros), but beware of tourist restaurants, the prize can easily rise. It's quite easy to find in Prague also Italian or Chinese restaurants.
Agenda - What we plan to do
Note: The program is generally open for your ideas. Please write an email to the GRASS developer list to discuss your contribution.
- Friday, 20 May:
- Welcome meeting
- Discuss and finetune agenda
- Sunday, 22 May:
- Community Sprinting 2
- Evening: Social dinner
- Monday, 23 May:
- Community Sprinting 3
- Tuesday, 24 May:
- Community Sprinting 4
- Wednesday, 25 May:
- Finish press release (including thanks to sponsors with names)
- Wrap up and see you soon
- Discuss new sponsoring concept
- Populate new GRASS Website with content from old website
- GRASS 7 development strategy:
- Feature freezing GRASS 6; bugfix-only backports for 6.4.2+ libraries and modules
- Improve manual with more examples and screenshots
- Outline screen capture videos for "Getting started with GRASS" and for using wxGUI for various specific tasks
- Discuss changing manual to use Sphinx (see related )
- Support translated manual pages (see related )
- Design new project Web site engine based on CMS
- Discuss possible metadata storage improvements for GRASS 7
wxGUI: graphical user interface
- wxGUI: add language selector at startup or in GUI configuration
- wxGUI modeller improvements
- wxGUI: further improve the integration of CLI and GUI
- wxNVIZ: consider to switch to OpenSceneGraph for 3D visualization
Built system, installation
- Autocompilation job for GRASS-Addons
- Discuss backporting Makefile system from GRASS 7 to GRASS 6
- Improve (enable to use prepared winGRASS Addon binaries)
- Discuss and define new toolbox concept
- Daily generated OSGeo4W packages for 6.5svn, 7.0svn.
- Develop something like the wxGUI module search tree for the HTML pages
Testing and benchmarking
- Write tests for different core modules (see Soeren's testsuite)
- Discuss testing procedure for GUI
- Benchmarking between GRASS, QGIS, Sextante, gvSIG, ... for watershed calculation, import, export, extract, ...
- Discussion and implementation time frame of temporal GIS capabilities in GRASS Time series development
- Discussion about a new parser interface for better command line, GUI and WPS support. Discussion started here: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1031
- Improve WPS support
- Discuss improvements in GRASS 7 vector engine (OGR support, lightweight topology structures, better 3D support)
- Discuss fundamental changes in raster and vector engine for GRASS 8
- winGRASS: GRASS and R-stats integration improvements (see related )
- Implement RasterLite as GRASS raster database
- Discussion on ML
We are planning for attendance of 20/30 people (i.e., hacking places) but of course you are welcome to join us and bring new ideas with you, as more places are available. Please add your name here or contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>:
|1||Martin Landa||May 20||May 25||Toolbox concept, vector engine in GRASS 7, wxGUI||M|
|2||Markus Neteler||May 17||May 23||sponsoring, coding, manual, odds and ends||M|
|3||Luca Delucchi||May 16||May 25||New toolbox concept,translation, g.cloud, r.modis||L|
|4||Robert Szczepanek||May 19||May 23||wxGUI, hydrological toolbox, translation||M|
|5||Margherita Di Leo||May 16||May 25||Translation , python api, wxGUI||L|
|6||Annalisa Minelli||May 16||May 25||Translation, python api, r.viewshed, winGRASS debug||S|
|7||Anne Ghisla||May 16||May 25||wxGUI development, v.krige||M|
|8||Alessandro Frigeri||May 18||May 25||Planetary SRS in GRASS GIS - OGC W*S tweakings for IAU GCS||M|
|9||Sören Gebbert||May 20||May 23||Time series development, Web Processing Service support, wps-grass-bridge, New parser interface, vtk-grass-bridge||L|
|10||Milena Nowotarska||May 19||May 23||wxGUI, translation||S|
|11||Helena Mitasova||May 22||May 25||wxnviz, v.vol.rst, r3 and time series, toolbox concept||S|
|12||Radim Blazek||?||?||QGIS friendliness lobbying||XL|
|13||Peter Loewe||May 20||May 23||GRASS on computation grids lobbying, povray, paraview/vtk||XL|
|14||Andrea Antonello||May 18||May 23||GRASS toolbox for uDig, Geopaparazzi import module for GRASS, Hopefully get knowledge about new raster format||L||to be confirmed (but 87% sure)|
|15||Markus Metz||vector engine in GRASS 7, support for massive datasets||L|
|16||Paweł Netzel||May 19||May 22||XL|
|add yourself here...|
- Hamish B, as timezones & work allows
- Bring your own computer
- Bring power connector adapter if needed (Czech Republic: 230V, 50Hz, Type C Europlugs are common and also Type E)
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working GRASS development environment if possible.
- Is the GRASS Community Sprint just a coding event?
- It is mainly a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in the GRASS project and/or are committed to improving the GRASS project.
- On demand we can do some presentations of current working GRASS implementation and new upcoming features to spread the idea of Open Source GIS software
- Is the GRASS Community Sprint for developers only?
- No: anybody can help, with testing, checking out bugs and fixes, documentation and more.
- Where can I get help and more information about the community sprint?
- Contact Martin Landa <landa.martin at gmail.com>