HOWTO import SRTM elevation data
Background: Space Shuttle Radar Topography Mission
- 1 Download
- 2 Which SRTM tile to take?
- 3 Import of original SRTM tiles in HGT format
- 4 Import of CGIAR SRTM void-filled tiles
- 5 Import of multiple SRTM tiles in one step (mosaiking)
- 6 Void filling of original SRTM tiles
- 7 See also
GRASS GIS installations usually contain a location 'demolocation' which is in Latitude-Longitude, suitable for SRTM import.
Which SRTM tile to take?
SRTM tiles are of 1 degree by 1 degree size. The SRTM filename contains the coordinates which refer to the center of the lower left pixel (e.g., N51E010: lower left cell center at 10E, 51N). To identify a tile name, a grid can be easily visualized in the GRASS monitor:
Import of original SRTM tiles in HGT format
You can easily import many SRTM files in one step:
This menu function calls internally the SRTM driver of GDAL.
Importing multiple SRTM files via command line
Use themodule for automated import into a Latitude-Longitude location.
- M.H. Bowman. Mapping freely available high resolution global elevation and vector data in GRASS. GRASS Newsletter, Vol.3, pp 7-10, June 2005. [ PDF ]
Import of CGIAR SRTM void-filled tiles
- SRTM 90 data in GeoTIFF format are available from http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/. These come in 5 degree by 5 degree tiles. Horizontal resolution: 3 arc second (90 m at equator). Coverage: world. Import with
Import of multiple SRTM tiles in one step (mosaiking)
To simplify the import of multiple SRTM tiles, the tiles can be mosaicked first with gdalwarp:
Original SRTM tiles:
# unzip all for i in *.hgt.zip ; do unzip $i ; done # create mosaik (optionally reproject on the fly with -t_srs) gdalwarp *.hgt srtm_mosaik.tif # import r.in.gdal input=srtm_mosaik output=srtm_mosaik
CGIAR SRTM tiles:
# create mosaik (optionally reproject on the fly with -t_srs) gdalwarp *.tif srtm_mosaik.tif # import r.in.gdal input=srtm_mosaik output=srtm_mosaik
Void filling of original SRTM tiles
The module screenshotcan be used. See
- M. Neteler, 2005. SRTM and VMAP0 data in OGR and GRASS. GRASS Newsletter, Vol.3, pp 2-6, June 2005. [ PDF | Erratum 1/2006 (txt) ]
- SRTM in Wikipedia