Talk:GRASS Community Sprint Prague 2012
- 1 Reports
- 2 Wishes for the Community Sprint
- 3 Testing by power users
- 4 Non-Technical
- 5 Semi-Technical
- 6 Technical
- 6.1 OSGeo4W
- 6.2 Android
- 6.3 QGIS-Sextante-GRASS interface
- 6.4 Update the GDAL-GRASS interface to GRASS 7
- 6.5 Rules Based programming and Agent Based Modelling
- 6.6 Time series
- 6.7 Automated command user statistics
- 6.8 Mobile: inventory of mobile and touch implementations
- 6.9 Cloud computing
- 6.10 GSoC 2012
- 6.11 GRASS 7
- 6.12 Model integration
- 6.13 GRASS modules fixes
- 6.14 Signal handling
- 6.15 Fix wxGUI problems
- OSGeo4W GRASS package configuration: add liblas support (http://liblas.org/osgeo4w.html) - &
- Fundraising for this Community Sprint (with great help from Arnulf Christl)
- PSC composition discussion
Wishes for the Community Sprint
- Visual Guide to GRASS GIS modules: scratch a collection of per-module dedicated||or tutorial/task oriented, simple, minimalistic yet attractive, bullet-proof visual examples
- setup specific styling rules (?)
- end-up with some independent and beautiful TeXy PDF
- visually enrich existing manuals and/or grass-wiki
- or consider Sphinx
- Review of the python + ctypes example scripts.
- The examples given in the code for Ctypes wiki page have so far for me all been broken in some way or another. Either grass7 API in grass6 example, typos, incomplete, etc. have made almost all of them fail out of the box. As this is teaching code we should make sure it's perfect :-). See also bug in trac about possible memory leak in r.example. , vector_example_ctypes.py and on the
- Extend documentation by an example for a user-generated logarithmic color table.
Testing by power users
(Power) users from all over the world are kindly invited to assist with testing of new and existing functionality. To collect results and notes, we set up an interactive, collaborative editing tool which works in real-time:
Please check http://titanpad.com/I51nq1SrNc
Discuss role and current composition of GRASS-PSC:
- Every year members are requested to confirm to continue their work in the PSC.
- After the Community Sprint 2012, the Chair will request updates to the RFC1 from the PSC members.
- Answer within five business days needed.
- In case of no continuation/no answer, a member is replaced in order to refresh the PSC.
- To be eligible for PSC membership, a person should have a demonstrated and substantial involvement in GRASS GIS (operation of the PSC is defined at RFC1).
- Discuss Google Summer of Code (two students are here)
- Discuss GRASS 6.4.3 and 7.0 release schedule
- Define make a manual test procedure for users to simplify testing before new releases, write this up in the wiki (example)
- Improve Web site or use CMS
- Document tipps & tricks for GRASS compilation with the wxGUI
- but there is Compilation on MS-Windows
- GRASS Book 4th edition in conjuction with GRASS GIS 7.0 release
- oversee available data and examples
GRASS package configuration: add liblas support (http://liblas.org/osgeo4w.html)(martinl) - & (download)
- continue the Android compilation (needs especially the elimination of XDR in rast and rast3d)
- work on new integration with QGIS-Sextante
Update the GDAL-GRASS interface to GRASS 7
- see http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2953
- LGPL grass IO code written from scratch?
Rules Based programming and Agent Based Modelling
- Tutorial/Documentation on g.infer
- r.agent in GRASS 7
- Seminar on Temporal GIS framework demo and discussion: by Soeren Gebbert, done on 24 May 2012
- Add content to http://grass.osgeo.org/grass70/manuals/html70_user/temporalintro.html from Soeren's tutorial
- Discuss temporal GIS wxGUI and WPS integration
- Discuss massive parallel computation of spatio-temporal datasets
Automated command user statistics
- modify g.parser to write out the list of used commands (without parameters) into a text file for simple, automated command user statistics
Mobile: inventory of mobile and touch implementations
- Geopaparazzi, v.in.geopaparazzi
- GRASS on Android (patches by MN)
- cluster usage best practices
- v.net.* front end, WMS
- Python API
- Image Segmentation
- PostGIS Topology support
- vector engine
- Toolbox concept
- implement GRASS Metadata Management
- GRASS and Caesar model
GRASS modules fixes
- i.atcorr debugging
- Figure out how to get visibility/aerosol depth at 550nm (perhaps from MODIS atmosphere?)
- Under certain circumstances i.atcorr produces NULL data
- GRASS 6.4.3 - Release critical issues to be fixed
- The Python based scripts should catch CTRL-C to avoid that clutter is left behind and that ugly traceback is printed into the terminal.
Suggestion by Anne Ghisla (yet not working... ):
Index: lib/init/grass.py =================================================================== --- lib/init/grass.py (revision 51604) +++ lib/init/grass.py (working copy) @@ -30,7 +30,12 @@ import subprocess import re import platform +import signal +# catch user-sent CTRL-C +signal.signal(signal.SIGINT, lambda a,b:cleanup()) +signal.siginterrupt(signal.SIGINT, False) + # Variables substituted during build process if os.environ.has_key('GISBASE'): gisbase = os.environ['GISBASE']
- Currently if vector creation modules fail to create/import they still leave behind the empty skeleton of a map, so you need to use --o for the next time. It would be nice if cleanup could occur. This doesn't happen (visibly) with raster maps as they are composed in $MAPSET/.tmp/ and only moved into the main $MAPSET elements once everything is finished. Vector maps on the otherhand write to the MAPSET in-place.
Fix wxGUI problems
A. Clerici: please fix:
- ticket https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1564
- ticket https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/1570
- wxGUI bugs (GRASS6.4.2RC3 under Fedora 16):
- In the 'Create histogram of raster map' function, the style pie and the Color for text and axes options are not working. The options run fine on the tcltk GUI and in command line mode.
- In the 'Add scalebar and north arrow', the scale can be modified only once and the option can't be re-entered nor the scale can't be deleted. Also in this case there are no problems with the tcltk GUI.
- the option 'Add raster cell arrows' seems not to work properly. It seems that the arrows in the Map Display cannot zoomed in. It can be checked by the following steps:
- Load and display the aspect (Spearfish) map.
- Open the d.rast.arrows panel through the GUI button and choose the same map aspect. Click Apply: the Map Display appears green as expected for the very high resolution.
- Choose 10 for the 'Draw arrow every Nth grid cell:' option and none as 'Color for drawing grid or “none”' option. The arrows are displayed on the cells of aspect map.
- To make the arrows visible choose slope as 'Raster map containing values used for arrow length:' and 10.0 as 'Scale factor for arrows'. Zoom in a very small area: the cells of aspect map are enlarged, but the density of arrows remains the same
- The direction is correctly the same for all arrows inside the same cell but it seems that instead of having an arrow each 10 aspect cells, there is an arrow each 10 pixel of the screen (with tcltk GUI the procedure works fine)
- Fix wx0..6 monitors
Optionally, have all-in-one GUI window (requested by many new users!):
Proposed solution: wxLayoutAlgorithm(), see WxGUI#What_others_do
work on r.li.setup for GRASS7
- when using the wxGUI, it needs to write back to the shell history
- `cat wxgui_history.log >> $MAPSET/.bash_history`
- Since the wxGUI shell quoting is not perfect, maybe it is better not to write directly to real shell history, but maintain its own in ~/.grass7/history.
- missing string "Select vector map" from the drop-down widget on digitizing toolbar
on winGRASS, nightly build of 24th May