- 1 Grass Package Repositories
- 2 GRASS on Launchpad (LP)
- 3 GRASS Packaging
Grass Package Repositories
- GRASS packages are provided by different repositories.
- They are mostely distihuished by their level of up-to-dateness in respect to the GRASS source code.
Overview and Sources
An overview is given in the following table:
|Repository||Type||Update Frequency||Status||Current version||Source||Details||Link|
|Official Ubuntu Repositories||universe||Only updated before each Ubuntu release||Stable at time of import||6.4.2-2||Imported from Debian repositories||[http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=grass&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all§ion=all Overview]|
|UbuntuGIS||stable||?||Stable at time of packaging||6.4.2||?||ubuntugis-stable|
|UbuntuGIS||unstable||?||Unstable at time of packaging||6.4.2~x||?||ubuntugis-unstable|
|UbuntuGIS||testing||?||Very unstable at time of packaging|| 6.4.3-1~x
|GRASS PPA||stable||Daily upon change of GRASS source code||Most recent fixes and backports to stable series||6.4.2+2||Imported from GRASS SVN of releasebranch_6_4||[file:///home/hotryce/Dokumente/GRASS%20Packages:%20Stable%20Series GRASS Packages: Stable Series]|
|GRASS PPA||unstable||Daily upon change of GRASS source code||Very unstable but latest development code||7.0.x||Imported from GRASS SVN trunk||GRASS Packages: Development Series|
GRASS on Launchpad (LP)
- GRASS team
- GRASS team
- individuals which are dedicated to work on GRASS packaging for Ubuntu
- Any user and developer is free and welcome to join!
- New active members are needed!
- Umbrella organisation for activities around GRASS on Launchpad
- GRASS GIS Project
- other future projects could be
The source code is managed in a structure corresponding to the above organisation
- Latest SVN imports
- Bazaar branches for “grass” package in Ubuntu
- Used by Ubuntu packages for the official packages
Offical Ubuntu Packages
To be added.
To be added.
GRASS PPA Packages
- Built by Launchpad using GRASS build recipes
- Either built daily (stable code) or upon request (development code)
- GRASS source code is regularly imported upon change by LP (destination: see above)
- If source has changed, the package is build by
- nesting the debian package files (e.g. from lp:~grass/grass/grass64_release_debian for the 6.4.x stable series) in the original source (e.g. lp:~grass/grass/releasebranch_6_4 for the 6.4.x stable series)
- run the build process on LP for the chosen Ubuntu releases according to the instructions in the debian files (e.g. ~grass/grass/grass64_release_debian)
- Upload the package to the respective archive / PPA (e.g. GRASS Packages: Stable Series for 6.4.x stable series)
What do to on errors in the packaging process
- If a package build fails, its most likely that there were changes in the upstream GRASS SVN
- Then the debian files outlined above must be adapted:
- branch the code of the debian files Bazaar (bzr) repository from launchpad
- make the necessary changes locally
- prepare the source running the recipe locally using
- bzr dailydeb
- bzr build
- tests the build process on your machine using
- pbuilder (recommended), or
- dpkg-buildpackage (etc.)
Actions where help is needed
Outstanding tasks are:
- check the correct update & daily builds for GRASS 6.4.x
- Check if the upgrade to the next Ubntu release (13.04) does not affect the packages
- make the GRASS 7.0.x package failsave so that it can be activated for daily builds
Interested contributors, please come in here and give something back to the GRASS community!