GRASS differs from many other GIS software packages used in the professional world in that it is developed and distributed by users for users; mostly on a volunteer basis, in the open, and is given away for free.
Emphasis is placed on interoperability and unlimited access to data as well as software flexibility and evolution rate (both added features and bug minimization).
The GRASS Community and the Development Team
Promoting GRASS GIS
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo)
- The new Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo.org) was established in Chicago. GRASS was proposed as founding project.
- Potential tasks and responsibilities (earlier proposal)
- GRASS Project Steering Commitee for the OSGeo Foundation
- GRASS Project Incubation at the OSGeo Foundation
- How to participate in IRC communication (#grass, #osgeo, #gdal, #qgis, #mapserver and other channels)
- FOSS4G2006 - Open Source Geospatial Communities Joint Conference 12-15 September 2006 in Lausanne, Switzerland with GRASS workshops...
- GRASS related workshops and presentations