GRASS differs from many other GIS software packages used in the professional world in that it is developed and distributed by users for users; mostly on a volunteer basis, in the open, and is given away for free.
Emphasis is placed on interoperability and unlimited access to data as well as software flexibility and evolution rate (both added features and bug minimization).
The GRASS Community and the Development Team
GRASS education (Free GIS education)
The GRASS education (Free GIS education) wiki site offers a start to collect links, text documents and small images. Furthermore it would like to provide a discussion platform to develop and collect approaches, techniques, exercises and course structures for people giving GRASS and/or other Free GIS courses.
Most people want to upload their course material including PDFs, powerpoint presentations, Flash tutorial movies, course material, lecture notes, etc.. Because this wiki only supports text + simple graphics files, we have to find a solution to enable password controlled upload of large files. For this reason it is necessary to provide a decicated general Free-GIS education server to support GRASS and Free GIS teaching and education efforts.
From our point of view a natural home for Free-GIS-Edu documentation, video tutorials, presentaions, PDFs, etc. could be:
Promoting GRASS GIS
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo)
- The new Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo.org) was established in Chicago. GRASS was proposed as founding project.
- Potential tasks and responsibilities (earlier proposal)
- GRASS Project Steering Commitee for the OSGeo Foundation
- GRASS Project Incubation at the OSGeo Foundation
- How to participate in IRC communication (#grass, #osgeo, #gdal, #qgis, #mapserver and other channels)
- FOSS4G2006 - Open Source Geospatial Communities Joint Conference 12-15 September 2006 in Lausanne, Switzerland with GRASS workshops...
- GRASS related workshops and presentations